hello from Mississippi

Take a moment to introduce yourself.
Kenneth

hello from Mississippi

Post by Kenneth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:39 am

Hello everyone,fellow bladesmith,blacksmith that's new to the craft and needs a grinder but doesn't want to dish out 2k..I don't have any electrical experience,or experience building things like this.

One of my brother's works at a machine shop that water jet cuts.

My other brother has been a welder most of his life,so I feel confident to get this done with more guidance from this forum

Question,steve rice blue prints.what the difference between his and the original dc1?

Also if I go with Steve rice,are the blue prints good to go as is and send to a machine shop or are there any improvements/revised prints?

admin
Site Admin

Re: hello from Mississippi

Post by admin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 am

Hi Kenneth,

I haven't made the SR version. I believe he cleaned up some dimensions, closed some open elements and adjusted the arc cut in the platen plate. Hopefully Steve will chime in.

Thanks for joining us. Good luck with your build!

Dan

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:15 am

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 am
Hi Kenneth,

I haven't made the SR version. I believe he cleaned up some dimensions, closed some open elements and adjusted the arc cut in the platen plate. Hopefully Steve will chime in.

Thanks for joining us. Good luck with your build!

Dan

Hey Dan,thanks for chiming in and clearing things up brother.

Hopefully Steve is still active lol.

2 things..what size tooling arm does this grinder take for grinder attachments..just curious per say if I bought a pre made flat platen for example,would it fit..

And I noticed in the file I downloaded,theres 2 files for the same part,just the size is different depending on how long the motor will be,i guess I'll just use to biggest one(one for 11in motors) .so technically I only need to submit that one,dont have to worry about the 10inch one right..sorry for the noob questions,just making sure I don't pay for a part I don't need lol

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 am

Hi Kenneth,

The tool arms are 1.5" square, same as KMG, EERF, Wilmont TAG et al.

Normally 4 pole motors are about an inch longer than their 2 pole counterparts. If you need the extra clearance then the design for the 11" motor is a better choice as it will improve airflow over the motor in when in the horizontal position. I made the DC1 for the 10" motor and it works fine (and it's a bit more squat) with the 2 pole Ironhorse motor that I bought.

It's best to have the motor in mind or in hand before getting the cutting work done so you can confirm the dimensions. Most motor manufacturers have downloadble drawings you take a look at as well.

Dan

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:51 am

Dan,thank you for taking the time and helping me figure this stuff out.I need to google the difference between 4 pole and 2 pole motors as this is still new to me
That's awesome about the tool arm

Another question which might be for Steve rice..on his cad files..I noticed 2 number 375 files(cut rev)..one with spacers and one without spacers.
Do I need both?if not which one do I need?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm

The spacers are required to stack together and separate the frame pieces and make a receiver for the tool arm that is about 1.52" square. If you want to make it like mine, then you'll want the spacers. Some people use a single solid pieces of their own making for spacers, while others use cut tubing or tubular spacers. I am thinking Steve was giving the option of doing it either way.

Dan

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Dn,ok that makes sense, spacers it is..how active is steve rice?