Simko's Weld Together OSG

Show us your grinder!
Simko

Simko's Weld Together OSG

Post by Simko » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:03 pm

A friend and I have been getting into knife making and decided that we wanted 2x72 grinders. After doing some searching and finding prices around $2000, we decided to try and build our own. We were originally going to reverse engineer a Beaumont from pictures, but after doing some searching I stumbled on this website.

I love the design, but I wasn't excited about all of the drilling and tapping... then I saw the weld together version that Kevin Powers posted. I was hoping to get a copy of his weld together prints, but it doesn't look like he is active on here any more.

I decided to start with the Steve Rice Rev2 prints and convert them for welding:

- All of the tabs are shortened by 1/8" to give some surface area to weld
- Front and rear hinge plates were redesigned similar to how Kevin did it, but with more areas to weld
- Converted tracking arm for gas shock. i stretched the pivot point 4" back and 1" up like Kevin did, but that is the end of the similarity.
- Converted the top spacers to be one bolt spacing longer and added shock mount holes to one of the spacers.
- Stretched the top of the arm and added a row of shock mount holes
- The shock is a standard McMasterCarr part and the spacing was selected to have 3/4" of compression and about 1-1/4" of extension when the shock is vertical.
- I spec'ed quick disconnect ball sockets for the shock so that it can be quickly moved from one ball stud to the next. Mount it vertical furthest away from the pivot for full pressure or at an angle close to the pivot for less.

I am hoping to cut these out on my plasma table soon. It's not going to be as pretty as all these laser or water jet builds, but the price is right 8-)

IMG_0988.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG (57.43 KiB) Viewed 211 times
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG (52.81 KiB) Viewed 211 times
IMG_3798.JPG
IMG_3798.JPG (394.71 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Brian Stucker

Re: Simko's Weld Together OSG

Post by Brian Stucker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:54 pm

How did it work out for you?

Simko

Re: Simko's Weld Together OSG

Post by Simko » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 am

I cut out three sets of plates over the weekend. Even with taking the time to figure out how much to oversize the slots to make up for the taper of the plasma cut, I still had to do some hand filing in the slots and in the tab inside corners to get everything to fit nicely.

Getting ready to drill all of the holes. I was originally going to plasma peck the hole locations and drill them out on a drill press, but my father-in-law showed interest in a grinder (the reason that we are making three now instead of two) and he has a tool and die shop and is going to do them on a CNC mill. 8-)

I will take some pictures throughout the process. I would have normally updated more, but this forum moves so slow, I didn't think anyone was actually looking... :lol: