Water jet Service

Discussion on where to source parts and services for your build.
lj240

Re: Water jet Service

Post by lj240 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 am

I have to agree with your assessment. My shop owner just raised the fee for me to use the water jet which makes this option more expensive. The laser is a more affordable at this point and I plan on going this route.

LeonJ :arrow:

SolidJr

Post by SolidJr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:10 pm

I sent the drawing to DYDD in Windsor. They quoted me $360 CAD for waterjet. Is there a benefit to laser vs. water? Is one more accurate? I read laser was normally cheaper but, is that the only practical difference? Thanks guys.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:37 pm

As far as the accuracy goes, either water jet or laser is good. The water jet does leave striations on the edges. Laser may leave a slight burr. Neither is major though.

Kevin McGovern

Post by Kevin McGovern » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 am

lj240 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:12 am
Hi,

I have access to a waterjet, powder coating, and discount metal. Once I create my grinder, I could provide materials to those wanting to build this grinder.

I do have to pay for time spent using the waterjet, so this would be factored in. By the way, I live in MD.

LeonJ :D
Leon,

Where in MD do you live? I'm in Harford County.

herrmc

Post by herrmc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:32 am

- I will give some feedback shortly (in the next few days).

- I have only just found this project, and I am digesting the information. I have Waterjet, CNC-Plasma, CNC-Mill in house (I own)...

- I should probably not post much yet before I read all the information ... but ... I do think I understand the parts pretty well after looking at the drawings and several pictures that I found.

- There is a lot of room to gain "economy" ... by not simply putting all of these parts in one process to cut.
--- Spacers -- these are going to be a major source of your cost (and pain).
---- my mind is whirring to think of a solution ... but one solution that comes to mind quickly is to use 1/2" square bar --- or 3/4" x 1/2" bar ... and drill the holes in them.... another thought is to use DOM tubing ...

--- The base plate (parts on the drawing in the 17" x 13" box ...
---- the ones on the left are common dimensional steel (2" x 1/4" bar)
---- and the base plate should simply be sheared at your metal supply house (or plasma cut)

--- The outside of all the other components for sure are good candidates for CNC plasma ... the holes might benefit from a different process... I have plate markers on my CNC table that could/would mark hole position for drilling or punching.... I also have a spindle on the plasma that could drill. They could also be drilled on the mill.

--- Holes in plasma "Can" be done very well by some machines and operators.... but others will have a hard time with them.... you will not get consistent results from plasma on your holes (from different machines / operators).... All CNC plasma machines are not equal ... and all operators are not as apt ... You will not find a lot of novice or beginners running waterjet machines..... but I will say that the Majority of CNC plasma (regualar air plasma) is not as experienced...

--- I have every intention of building one of these machines for myself, and as I progress will be able to give you more information.

herrmc

Post by herrmc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:54 pm

- I was working with the 11" long platen file last night -
-- I hope to have some time coming up to get more detailed with it, but I just had my son run some basic numbers.

> Cutting the whole file (the 3/8" parts).... just "plopping it in" at Quality 3 = around $427

> If we reduce the quality on the outside edge (will still be awesome quality)... and increase the quality on the holes... it lowers the price about $100 bucks... and should produce a better result --- it shows around $325

> If I delete the 1/2" x 3/8" x 8" Qty = 12 spacers ... it lowers the price about another $100 ... so gets the cut cost down to about $225.

> I am going to be playing with it a little more .... I did price steel ... a sheet of 4' x 8' x 3/8" steel costs me $232 + tax .. It will take about 1/5 of a sheet ... so the 3/8" cost should be about $50 ...

> Cutting for myself doesn't cost for me so much.... but just trying to give some info for those that are working with cut shops.

> I will be cutting some of these for myself in the coming future... if I can ever get a little free time...

lj240

Post by lj240 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 am

Kevin McGovern wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 am
lj240 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:12 am
Hi,

I have access to a waterjet, powder coating, and discount metal. Once I create my grinder, I could provide materials to those wanting to build this grinder.

I do have to pay for time spent using the waterjet, so this would be factored in. By the way, I live in MD.

LeonJ :D
Leon,

Where in MD do you live? I'm in Harford County.
Kevin,

I live in Howard county. I apologize for delay in getting back to everyone. Bow hunting season started and fishing is at it's prime. I plan on cutting my grinder on the waterjet shortly after which I will have a more accurate idea concerning cost to produce my grinder. I will post an update once I assemble the grinder.

Leon

SpecialEd

Post by SpecialEd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:42 am

Good morning, Leon,

I know it's been a few months, but I was wondering if you still have access to a waterjet and metal. I too live in MD! Thanks in advance!