1.5hp Motor

Discussion of electrical, motors, VFDs and controls.
JustFloyd

1.5hp Motor

Post by JustFloyd » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 am

Is it possible to use 120V using a 1.5 hp motor and VFD? This would allow a lot more flexibility in placing/moving the grinder. I have 220v single phase but would be limited to one location which is not in a convenient location.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have put this in electrical. Did some research and there are 120v single phase to 220v 3phase VFD's If I used the 2hp motor, would it be de-rated to some lower horsepower by the inverter? I'm not that familiar with the eletrical stuff, so thanks for the help!

admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.5hp Motor

Post by admin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Floyd,

Not a problem using a 1.5 hp motor and 115 V VFD. A common VFD solution is the KBAC-27D which is 1.5 hp at 115 V or 2 hp at 230 V. As long as the motor has a C face that matches the bolt pattern and you allow for the length of the motor, either the 10" or 11" design.

It's okay to use a smaller hp motor on a larger inverter, but not the other way around. Example, a 1.5 hp motor on a 2 hp VFD is fine. You can tell the VFD that it's running a smaller motor and the overload parameter(s) will be able to protect the motor. It not advised to use a larger hp motor on a smaller VFD.

Dan