Sheet metal thickness

Discussion of mechanical, frame, geometry, fasteners etc.
Wild Russian

Sheet metal thickness

Post by Wild Russian » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:36 am

Hi,
I have noted that all laser/water jet designs that I have seen - and Sayber OSG too - use sheet metal as thick as 3/8" - 1/2" (from 10 to 12,5 mm). Is it really necessary? I have thought that 1/4" is enough for dimensional stability of a frame... If the motor, pulley/sheave and another rolling parts are good balanced, vibrations must be very low?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Sheet metal thickness

Post by admin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Yes the thickness is required for drilling and tapping holes for assembly. I used 10-32 machine screws to secure the mounts to the frame. These have to be drilled and tapped not into the face of the steel but into the ends.
OSG_frame_mechanical_IMG_5333.jpg
Drill and tap into frame material
OSG_frame_mechanical_IMG_5333.jpg (78.78 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
If you wished to use smaller screws or weld the components, then yes 1/4" plate will be fine. Thinner material will have an effect on other assembled things like the tracking hinge and arm.

As a rule, the thickness of threaded material is equal to or more than the diameter of the bolt, so a 3/8" threaded hole should be at least 3/8" deep for proper thread engagement.

Dan

Gavin_Hoole

Post by Gavin_Hoole » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Can I use 10mm? what sort of material do you suggest? I am thinking of structural steel EN9 .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Gavin,

10 mm is very close to the 3/8" I used. Should't be a problem if you use 40 mm square tool arms You can stack 4 x 10 mm to make the receivers a close fit. You'll still need to have some shim in there to allow a small amount of play to slide the tool arm in and out.

The steel I used was A36. I believe E9 is medium carbon steel. I guess as long as you can drill and tap it. I'd go for anything that is common and easy to machine.

We still do not have a metric version with an IEC motor in mind, however someone is working on it at this time.

Edit: Craig posted his metric version here a few days ago: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44

Dan