List of suggestions

Suggest ideas for attachments, safety, or overall design improvements.
dancom

List of suggestions

Post by dancom » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Based on my build I'd like to suggest some improvements. In no particular order.

1. It would be nice if the drive wheel had an offset hub. It's certainly on the motor shaft and the key is locked down, but when up against a 3/8" plate there's only maybe 1.5" of usable shaft.

2. Have a place to mount the static discharge brush.

3. Provide more places to screw saddles or cable clamps for the wiring. Drilling more holes is great fun. :(

4. Make the motor mounting and supports more generic to work with longer and larger diameter motors. 143TC etc. (Sorry Jarred)

5. Design a foolproof hinge. Maybe steer the tracking wheel on two planes. The EERF has the hinge mounted atop the tracking arm and can be rotated slightly.

6. A place to mount a work light that will work in V and H modes.

7. Look for ways to reduce the parts count. Use the same fasteners or handles wherever possible?

8. Longer frame, higher tracking arm, shorter tool arms. This may not work with a 14" contact wheel, but tons of folks wouldn't give a rat's arse.

9. Use a locked 3/8" bolt as the pivot and a single adjustable handle to release and lock the frame.

10. Slightly longer tool arm for the work rest. Mine is 17" and okay, but 20" as per the new bill of materials would be better for when using the large wheel.

Surely there will be more.

;)

Dan

Kevin McGovern

Re: List of suggestions

Post by Kevin McGovern » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 am

how about a cam over belt tension mechanism? You know how I love them. of course, this would also require a gas strut option. On my build, I included holes in the CAD files so either a spring or gas strut could be used.

srice

Post by srice » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 am

Just came here to suggest the same cam over design.

srice

Post by srice » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:24 am

I was thinking about a cam over motion design and I was trying to figure out Kevin's earlier comment that it requires a strut tensioner design. I'm having a hard time understanding why simple extension springs couldn't be used. The extension springs would have to pull the tension arm down from behind the pivot instead of a strut pushing up on the tension arm in front of the pivot. If I am missing something obvious, please let me know.

Cheers!
Steve